Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Roped into another gig…

Sometimes you just never know where a phone conversion will lead to, especially when you’re not the person having the conversion.  Jerry was talking with his sister JoAnn, when he got us roped into another gig.  Actually he volunteered to work and I got roped in, which at the time was the furthest thing from my mind; I just wanted to get rid of my migraine.

Later that evening I started asking questions about this opportunity – when, where, time frame, and of course pay.  You know all the important stuff a wife wants to know, that your hubby may not ask – details are not always as important as they are to me.  

Took time out from eating to get his photo taken - thank you

We were to show up at the Shawnee Expo at 8 p.m. on Thursday to work as a gate guard for the world’s largest horse sale.  Cool, quick money --- but WAIT, did you say 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.?  How in the world are we going to be able to stay up all night, when we are usually in bed around 11 p.m.?   It’s only for three days – Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, - surely we could do it...finally we just made our minds up that we could do it and we did!!

 Guess this horse wasn’t too happy being locked up all night in a stall.
What were our responsibilities for 12 hours in the middle of the night, you might ask?  On Thursday; we just had to be available to provide stall information, so people would know what stall they could unload their horses into.  Friday and Saturday after the sale was over, we had to make sure the horses being released match the log sheet by checking the hip number on the horse.  Each horse is assigned a number as identification when they are registered for the sale, this number is put on both side of the horses hips, as verification during the sale and released process.  There were all kinds and types of horse at this sale; some didn't sale and at least one we saw sold for $10,000.  One horse (#112) was MIA, but later was found, so all was good.  Just glad it wasn't nothing on our part!!

Our office in the early morning hours
 The only rough part of this gig was  one of us had to be at the trailer and be awake at all times to check out the trailers as they left the sale.  For the most part we were right there together, but at times it was nice to let the fresh night air hit ya in the face to get awake - and Max would need a potty break.  Oh yes he was with us, but he stayed in his dog house - aka "toy".   So we did have the opportunity to walk around the grounds, check out the horses, sleep  or anything else we wanted to (read, internet, games).  We had comforts of home more than an office, after all our office was a travel trailer.  Some might ask; “What is on TV at 3 a.m.”?  Well, let’s see…. yesterday’s news, old movies, reruns of Inside Addition, and country music videos – that’s about it!


Not sure this is the one, but something like it.

We made enough to purchase an in-dash GPS system for our motorhome without having to pull $$ out of savings.  SCORE!!!  

Wouldn’t it be cool if we could find something like this to do once a month!?!  It sure would save our savings account – LOL.

Retirement is great; income adjustment not so much!!

Until next time....may peace be with you!
Jerry, Deb, & Max

No comments:

Post a Comment